Quick & Easy Shading TechniqueAugust 12, 2016
Botanical IllustrationsAugust 20, 2016
PanPastel Colors are artists’ quality soft pastel colors packed in a unique pan format (cake-like). The special qualities of PanPastel Colors mean that colorists can blend and apply pastel (dry) color like paint for the first time.
PanPastel Colors are a great addition to your coloring materials, as they can be used to achieve colorful backgrounds. They are completely compatible with other coloring materials e.g. colored pencils, markers etc. They are semi-transparent so design lines show through, and because they are dry they can be used on all papers without buckling or bleeding.
1. Load large Sofft Sponge (Angle Slice / Big Oval) with PanPastel Color by swiping over pan surface once or twice. Then apply color around design to create a background which will make the design “pop”.
Tip: Varying pressure when applying to get lighter & heavier layers of color creates dimension even with a single color.
2. Use a Sofft Sponge Bar to apply color in smaller areas. Don’t worry about going over the edge/lines of the design as this can easily be removed later with an eraser (see step 3.)
3. Use any eraser to clean up around lines and remove color from areas where you don’t want it. Read our erasing tips.
4. PanPastel can be used to block-in larger areas of the design – using a Sofft Applicator to apply color. Colored pencil can be applied on top, for shading effects.
Tip: “Clean” Sofft Sponge between colors by wiping on a dry paper towel. Read more about cleaning Sofft Tools.
5. Use colored pencils (or markers) as normal to color within the design. Pencils can also used on top of PanPastel.
6. Continue to color with pencil and / or PanPastel within the design.
Tip: use a sheet of paper under your hand to prevent smudging. Rotate as needed while working.
All designs featured are from the “Coloring Flower Mandalas” book by Wendy Piersall